Thursday, December 08, 2005

Why I Love My Job

Reason #42

Technical Writing Class. How do I love thee? Let me mention the ways:

Sitting across the table from some guy who's a disturbing cross between The Not Yet 40 Year Old Virgin (I know, I just violated that whole "Virgin: It's Not Dirty Word" thing that used to be on billboards. I'm sorta sorry. But there's an important distinction to be made between a choice and a condition) and Jason Schwartzman's character in Slackers. More of the latter than the former, sadly.

Only one actual writing exercise during three days of class.

Such useful phrases as "The only time a 1 or 2 sentence unit (you or I would call it a paragraph, but 1 to 2 sentences cannot constitute a paragraph under the instructor's definition) is acceptable is when it has a purpose." As opposed to all other groupings of words and sentences, apparently.

And, last but not least, the instructor's repeated assertion that the point of a document cannot simply be "To inform the reader." Simply informing the reader is merely dumping data in their lap- hardly the act of a responsible (or competent or even useful) author. Naturally, her assertion was met with confused stares from the class. You must understand- professionally, we're not allowed to have a 'point.' Because a point indicates (ahem, might indicate) bias- and we are a scrupulously unbiased organization. A caused B (according to the methodology we have established), sure. What that means is up to you. Where do I stand on this little disagreement? I'd love to sort that out for you, but I'm on the job right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home