Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Why I Love My Job

Reason #59

The 59 Minute Rule

Yes. Rule. The President, Cabinet Secretaries, and their immediate Deputies are empowered to grant more than an hour of leave. Which leads us to the 59 minute rule. The director of my agency and his associate directors (and possibly others... it is possible I have 59 minute authority under the proper circumstances) can grant leave of less than one hour. This is their holiday treat, which they pass out... eventually. There is nothing so simultaneously yearned for and ridiculous as the email invoking the 59 minute rule.

We do not take this rule lightly. I am told there have actually been debates regarding the authority of the invoker to invoke the 59 Minute Rule. In the interests of full disclosure, I have no first hand knowledge of the veracity of this claim. I was too busy leaving at the time to notice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home