Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Has my Shark been Jumped?

My reader, assuming they are still alive, must have noticed the paucity of posts these last few months. Sadly, I have no excuse. I could certainly make one up were they to insist- work the past few weeks, uh, you get the picture.

But I do have a reason. Outrage fatigue. But it's more than that. Roughly, somewhere around January/February I became fed up with being fed up. I was inured to the regular depradations against sensibility, honesty, and a respect for getting things right. And less and less were events and discoveries able to stir my mind and soul to have an opinion. They became like Thursdays. Do you have an opinion on Thursdays? (And if you're one of those impertinent f*cks who has an opinion on everything, including Thursdays, then please allow me to rephrase: Do you have an opinion on Thursdays which anyone actually cares to hear?). By May, nothing moved me anymore. It is an indescribably terrible feeling- the emptiness of another day, another offense. My posts, and this blog in toto, are not forged in a place of outrage (how terrible a thing that would be, requiring outrage to drive you). But rather on distinctions (outrage being a useful tool in that regard).

What is needed. What is more sorely needed than anything right now is ephemeral hope. A glimmer of better times, of uplifting change, of a reordering of virtues and values that does some good (simply doing less bad is not enough). In many ways, this is inspired by, but by no means limited to, political events (and there is a whole Nader column on the surface, hopefully I write it). Politics- along with economics and values in their own spheres- sets the limits of the possible. And it is this constriction of the possible which suffocated the germ of opinion in yours truly.

And thus, this title to this post. In order to continue to maintain this effort- something I want to do- my content is going to have to shift predominantly to the personal. Now that's not a bad thing, in and of itself. Life is hilarious, poignant, and well, life. And that should be given voice. But it strikes me as the height of narcissism and a regrettable outlet for the modern focus on and careless gratification of the "I" (another column for another day). Plus, I promised myself at the outset of this blog that it was not going to be "About" me. But, here we are. Actually, the change shall not be anywhere so drastic as I make it out to be. It is simply the raison d'etre of this blog which is, temporarily, MIA. Hopefully inspiration which reignites me is not too far around the bend. Until then, welcome to the day to day through my eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home